The role of the marketing professional has forever changed. So has the consumer. The internet and social media have completely altered the way people research and shop.
Consumers can read real reviews from other consumers, interact with businesses and find information themselves. Commercials, pop-up ads, etc don’t work like they used to, so marketers have had to find a new way to reach an audience.
If you want to be a successful marketer, you must do the following five things:
- Understand the customer or prospect: Delving into your buyer personas, you will begin to understand your ideal consumer. Who are they and what are they looking for? What problems or challenges are they experiencing? And how can you come to rescue?
- Target the customer or prospect: To reiterate, be in the right place at the right time. Once you determine your buyer personas, you will uncover your ideal customer’s buyer’s journey. This means you will learn where they research, how they research and how they come to a decision. For example, if your ideal customer is on Facebook more than Twitter, that’s where you need to be, armed and ready to provide them the solution they need.
- Be strategic: In order to succeed, a marketing professional must have a strategy in place. Remember that today the consumer is in control. Cold calling and showing up at a business’ doorstep is old school. When a consumer wants something, they will look for it themselves. You just need to be in the right place at the right time.
- Want to help the customer or prospect: Here’s the kicker. You must actually want to help your prospect or customer.
- Be authentic: This ties into the above. In addition to genuinely wanting to help a customer or prospect, you must be authentic. Be honest, engaging, and most importantly, just be there.
Check back for our next ROI Insights session, coming soon!
How would you say the internet marketer has changed over the years? Let us know in the comments section!