We get it. Blogging has gotten a lot of flack over the years. When Julia Childs devotee Julie Powell became famous for her blog more than a decade ago, she was scorned for not being a real writer and ridiculed for her quick success.
Well, we’re here to tell you that blogging is not just about showcasing your slew of writing skills and creative juices. It's not just about sharing your favorite cat videos either. These days, blogging is about getting your business or organization found online and becoming a thought leader/authority in your field. Getting people to find your website is the key to online success. Without visitors, your online presence is just space on a hard drive somewhere. You need to take steps to make your online presence easy to find and fun to visit.
Blogging is one way to do this. Having an active, dynamic blog that produces original, relevant content is a time-proven method for improving your search engine rankings and getting more people to find your website. It enhances your company brand and widens your reach.
According to HubSpot findings:
- Companies that blog more than 15 times a month will receive 5x the amount of web traffic than businesses that don’t blog.
- Companies that increase blogging from 3-5 times per month to 6-8 times per month almost double their leads.
- An average company will see a 45% growth in traffic when increasing total blog articles from 11-20 to 21-50 articles per month.
- An average company with a total of 100 or more blog articles is more likely to experience continued lead growth.
So you see the numbers and believe blogs are important, but you want to know why blogs work. Here are a few reasons why having an active blog is so important for getting your company found:
- Every new blog post creates a page with the opportunity to rank. If you have a single home page, you have only one chance at ranking high in the search engines. Each piece of quality content helps increase your chances of being found. Both B2B and B2C companies with 101-200 pages of content generate more than 2.5x the leads than a company with 50 or fewer pages.
- Each new blog post adds more unique content to your website. Search engine bots like unique content. They want to see regular updates to your blog. Each new piece of content makes both of those things happen. This helps to improve your rankings overall and for each page.
- You can optimize your website for critical keywords and topics. Search engines like to find keywords in the midst of interesting topics. The days of putting as many keywords as possible on a single page are long gone. Google wants to see keywords used naturally and in a related topic.
- You can take credit for your content. Google places importance on ranking the companies and authors with the best reputation. When you take credit for the content, like through Google+, it helps enhance the ranking of your content. that improves the chances of your content ranking high.
- Blogs provide a way to add rich content to your social media networks. You need something to say on social media. A big thing to do is share what you have posted to your blog. Provide a message to your audience and a link to your blog on social media sites. It also makes it easy for others to share your post.
- Blogs give visitors the opportunity to interact with your business or organization. Through writing comments and submitting forms online, visitors can feel like they can voice their opinions and concerns. When visitors feel they can trust you, they become loyal followers. Loyal followers turn into loyal customers.
Blogging is one of those things that businesses thought was optional just a few years ago. Today, it is a must-have that no company can do without if they want success in the modern online business world.
Questions and Final Thoughts?
Are you a blog believer? If so, how have you used your blog to increase your business exposure?
If are having trouble coming up with a blog, check out our blog post on how to write an effective, original blog in one hour or less!
photo courtesy of Stuart Miles / Free Digital Photos